business logistics

The Benefits of Using LED for Business Lighting

Using LED products for all business lighting has become more attractive recently due to improvements in technology, efficiency, and affordability. Reviewing the potential benefits of installing this technology is a must for any facilities manager.

According to consulting firm and energy management institute Frost and Sullivan, The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 and the Energy Policy Act of 2005 have mandated greater commercial energy efficiency and shifted the market towards high-performance solid-state lighting products. Though adoption costs of these systems can be high, operational costs are incredibly low, lowering energy costs for facilities significantly over the long term.

The operational life of a current, white LED light is in excess of 100,000 hours. That’s 11 years of continuous operation. In other words, since traditional incandescent bulbs only last 1,000 to 2,000 hours, LED lighting systems have 100 times the lifespan. This longevity means a complete elimination of routine bulb replacement. Consider that the true cost of a bulb or lighting system includes the cost of all replacement bulbs in conjunction with the time and labor needed to take them out and reinstall a fresh one. An LED system installed by experts will keep most facilities lit for over a decade. business logistics

The tremendous savings possible with this level of sustainability are extensive, coming primarily from the huge reduction in power consumption possible with an LED system. The average efficiency of a properly installed LED circuit is 80% efficiency. This means that of the power used by the circuit, 80% is used and converted to light energy while the remaining 20% is lost as heat. With traditional incandescent bulbs, 80% of energy is lost as heat. Businesses can now achieve an energy efficiency improvement of 60% just by having their lighting services replace old bulbs with LED technology.

Given that these LED systems require substantially less power to operate, commercial facilities can expect to see drastic reductions in yearly electricity spend. Around 45% of all electricity used by modern commercial facilities is used to help power the lighting equipment. As LED uses a fraction of the power of incandescent bulbs, power costs will be reduced accordingly. Also, these upgrades can lead to an improvement in employee performance, as the increased visibility reduces eyestrain and increases the comfort level inside the facility. Researchers at Cornell University have estimate a 3-5% increase in worker productivity can be reached simply by upgrading business lighting.

Transitioning to LED technology will help businesses comply with ever-developing government standards, reduce energy costs in the long run, and improve the operational capacity of any business. Upgrade business lighting today to an LED system today to start reaping the benefits of a more comfortable, efficient workplace.